Well the Olympics are well and truly under way, and now that Team GB have a few golds around their neck it’s certainly time to celebrate. But did you know that these are also the GREENEST games in the competition’s history? That’s right folks, London 2012 is the first truly sustainable Games, and that’s something to really be proud of.
Here’s a few of the facts that make this years games so Eco-friendly -
- New buildings created with low carbon concrete
- Sustainable sourcing of timber
- All materials used to dress venues are recyclable
- First ever fully public transportable Games
- All food served is sourced locally and seasonal produce
- All bins are different colours for different recoiling
- All staff wearing recycled polyester shirts
Plus to top the lot off, the Olympic Park really is an actual park! You can even download a mobile app called ‘Walk in the Park’, which shows you exactly what has been done to create the Olympic Park from start to finish. It truly is a wonderful and inspiring tale.
So, next time you feel proud to see Team GB pick a medal, spare a thought for the guys being the scenes who have made all this possible. After all, when they were putting all this together, they were putting the planet first…
and that deserves a gold medal in itself.
If you would like to learn more about the sterling work of WWF both at home and abroad, why not check out our dedicated charity page? There’s loads more information on what they get up to, and also how you can help their cause to save the planet by purchasing a membership online.